Welcome to Thornapple Township
We believe that good government has its roots in the people, so our goal is to help and serve.
Our township is located in the northwest corner of Barry County, 20 miles south of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in a town once called Thornapple, but now called Middleville. Thornapple Township is 36 square miles and we were given our name from the Thornapple River, which is a tributary of the Grand River and flows perfectly south to north through the heart of our township. Although our township is rural in nature, both our township and the Village of Middleville are home to more than 9,000 people. The "Scales Prairie" area west of the village features some of the most productive farmland in the county. In addition, Barry County's largest employer, Bradford White Corporation, is located in Middleville. To learn more about our community, please view the latest edition of the Middleville Rotary Community Directory (click here to view).
Thornapple Township is governed by a seven member Board that meets the second Monday of each month. Township Officials are elected every four years. Our current board members include:
- Supervisor: Eric Schaefer
- Clerk: Cindy Willshire
- Treasurer: Debra K. Buckowing
- Trustees: Curtis Campbell, Ross DeMaagd, Sandra Rairigh and Kim Selleck
OUR VISION & MISSION
- Vision: Your vibrant and natural community, with a small-town heart.
- Mission: To maintain effective government contributing to sustainable growth through sound investment while preserving the small-town heritage, recreational spaces, active agricultural, and the rural feel of our Township.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Respect: We will strive to understand the different priorities and perspectives of our citizens by conducting ourselves with integrity and fairness in all that we do.
- Responsible Growth: We will create opportunities that foster growth and ensure prosperity while preserving our natural heritage.
- Effective Government: We will utilize a common-sense approach to mindfully serve our constituents through transparency, accountability and fiscal responsibility.
- Safe Communities: We will provide a safe environment in which our residents, businesses, and visitors can live, work and play.
- Wellness & Healthy Living: We will encourage the wellness of residents and visitors by providing resources that will enable them to live a healthy lifestyle.